What you need
to register to vote

  • If you have been issued a State of Wisconsin Driver License or ID card that is current and valid, you must provide the number and expiration date.
  • If your WI driver license is cancelled or expired; or your WI DOT-issued ID is expired, provide the number and the last 4 digits of your Social Security number.
  • If you have not been issued a WI driver license or WI DOT-issued ID, you must provide the last 4 digits of your Social Security number.
  • If you have none of these documents, you will be able to indicate that fact.
  • You must provide a Proof of Residence Document when registering to vote in Wisconsin.
  •  A Proof of Residence Document is a document that proves where you live in Wisconsin.


You need a Wisconsin driver’s license or state ID card to use Wisconsin’s online voter registration system. The address where you’re registering needs to match the address the DMV has on file for you. If you don’t have a Wisconsin ID, you can still register by mail to vote.

By Mail

You can also register to vote using the Wisconsin voter registration form. Be sure to read the instructions carefully and fill it out completely. Send the completed form to your local election official. To register by mail, the form must be postmarked by the deadline.

In Person

You may register in-person in your municipal clerk’s office up until the Friday before the election at 5:00 p.m. or close of business, whichever is later. You must always provide a proof of residence document when registering to vote, see the following examples.

Acceptable proof of residency documents

  • A photo ID is never required when registering to vote in Wisconsin.
  • Proof of residence document is always needed when registering to vote in Wisconsin.
  •  A current and valid State of Wisconsin Driver License or State ID card.
  •  Any other official identification card or license issued by a Wisconsin governmental body or unit.
  • Any identification card issued by an employer in the normal course of business and bearing a photo of the cardholder, but not including a business card.
  • A real estate tax bill or receipt for the current year or the year preceding the date of the election.
  • A university, college, or technical college identification card (must include a photo) ONLY if the voter provides a fee receipt dated within the last 9 months or the institution provides a certified housing list to the municipal clerk.
  • A gas, electric, or telephone service statement (utility bill) for the period commencing no earlier than 90 days before Election Day.
  •  A bank or credit card statement.
  •  A paycheck or pay stub.
  •  A check or other document issued by a unit of government.
  • A letter on public or private social service agency letterhead identifying a homeless voter and describing the individual’s residence for voting purposes.
  • A residential lease that is effective on the date of registration. (Not valid if registering by mail.)
  • An intake document from a residential care facility such as a nursing home or assisted living facility.
  • Wisconsin driver’s license or Wisconsin state ID card can be used as proof of residence only a current and valid (unexpired but can be suspended or revoked) Wisconsin Driver License or Wisconsin state ID card with the voter’s current name and address qualifies as Proof of Residence. 

Register to vote or check your registration status at www.MyVote.wi.gov.
Contact the Wisconsin Elections Commission at 866-Vote-Wis (866-868-3947) or at elections@wi.gov.

Follow Us On Facebook

Watch Videos on YouTube!

Western Wisconsin Votes

Western Wisconsin Votes

A project of the Dunn County Democrats